Skip to main content

Marriage: Tip 4

Always say how you feel or what you want.
This topic compounds on some of the others I've already covered but I think it's so important it needs it own blog post, so let's dig in!

How many times do you want your spouse to do something a certain way? Say a certain thing? Apologize for hurting your feelings? Take you somewhere special?
BUTTT we don't say it or ask for it well, because sometimes it would just be nice to be surprised. ORRR they should already know how you feel. When you get in the argument and 3 days later you're still upset and he acts like he doesn't know why.... **eye roll** he SHOULD know what he did.

The problem is, he doesn't.
Your spouse isn't a mind reader.

I know, its logical. I know you know that, but how many times do you catch yourself expecting them to respond perfectly. The issue goes back again to we are two different people brought together and just because you think, act and respond one way doesn't mean they do.

I'm not saying you guys can't learn how the other thinks, acts and responds. Over time you totally can but it takes tons of communication & today is the best day to start working on it!

When your feelings are hurt, its OK to say so.
Calling myself out here. I'm strong. I like to just deal with things. I don't like to feel because it makes me feel weak. I'm working on it. I found when I keep it to myself, I will hold onto it. Create a grudge, resentment until finally one day... he blinks the wrong direction and I snap. Mad, upset about everything and pull up these issues from months ago he never even knew bothered me. && of course since I'm hurt, it hurts him. The mean things I say, the way I act makes him feel unwanted. Where as if instead of holding every issue in, if I would have said it when it happened then I would have stopped the behavior in its track. Helped him realized why I felt and how so we can fix it.

Before our wedding we had to do a counseling, our pastor told us this analogy that stuck with me.
Think of every issue as a brick. You have a brick and its sitting between you two. If you pretend it isn't there it just sits. Then the next brick is placed. Again unaddressed, it sits. This continues until one day, you have a wall of problems between you two pushing you away from each other.
His advise, instead of waiting on the wall to build up attack each brick as its placed, so nothing comes between you two.

When you are in a funk/mood/upset voice it.
Are you having a rough day. Maybe it has NOTHING to do with your spouse. But you're in a mood, don't feel good, you just want to unwind and relax. You want to go to bed early. Send them a text, give them a call, tell them when you get home that you're just not feeling you and you would love <insert what you need to feel better> WHY? because they have no idea how your day was. They don't know what's going on in your head. They don't know what will make you better. but they can help if you give them the chance.

When you are thankful for your spouse, make sure you tell them.
Did they do some chores around the house? Notice it and thank them! Let them know how much it means. I get it, they live there too, they should do their part. But how would you feel if your spouse recognized when you do things! I know me, Id feel like superwoman vs feeling like I'm not doing enough.
Do you love when they give you the biggest greeting when you walk in the door? Tell them how much it means to you!
Do you love how they smile? Next time they do it, tell them how it's your favorite.

I feel often as a marriage goes, the norm is to just get by. Do what you need to get to bed time while you're trying to get everything done. You know, the mundane. One day it'll be better or easier.
I don't want you to just get by. That means it takes noticing the little things. It takes communication. It means trusting them with your heart, emotions and feelings.

This week, I encourage you. Start practicing using your voice. Trying to say how you feel and what you want. Not only will it help them, but it will help you understand your own heart and thought process!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Bake Super Cookie

Anyone else struggle with after school snacks? My kids, they LOVE junk. They walk in the door begging for candy, chips, cookies. All the things they don't need. I've made it a mission of mine to provide them healthy options when they get home. Today we are mixing up an old favorite &&& we even put a spin on it! No Bake Cookies, make with my supershake (Shakeology). We did vanilla & chocolate because my oldest is just like me; NOT a chocolate eater. So he has peanut butter flavor. These boys are gonna go nutsssss for these. I LOVE this option because its sweet, so to them its a treat. But it has the vitamins and nutrients from my supershake to help fuel their body (it acts like 7 salads) so #momwin I don't feel guilty packing this in their lunch, letting them grab a couple as they run and play. No Bake Super Cookie Ingredients: 2 scoops chocolate Shakeology OR vanilla Shakeology 1 cup oats 1 cup Peanut Butter 1/2 cup honey 1/2 cup coconut o

$10 Tuesday | Breakfast edition

You know my goal is $10 or less, What if I told you breakfast for under $2?!? YUPPPPPP! Friends, get on my level.  That's cheaper than stopping at the gas station, running through fast food and 100x healthier! Let me share with you one of my favorite breakfast meals! Overnight Oats & Eggs Super simple, super easy, budget win. x Now let's break it down. Oatmeal -- $2.29 Blueberries -- $2.29 Almond Milk -- $1.99 Eggs -- .88 Mushrooms -- 1.89 ________________________ Total spent = $6.57 But wait, that's before breaking it down by the number of days you can use it for. This is over a weeks worth of breakfast y'all. One tub of oatmeal can last me 2+ weeks! Eggs, you have plenty for 6 days, etc. So let me show you my best guess. Oatmeal -- $2.29 / 14 = .16 Blueberries -- $2.29 / 4 = .57 Almond Milk -- $1.99 / 7 = .28 Eggs -- .88 / 6 = .15 Mushrooms -- 1.89 / 5 = .38 __________________________ Total for one meal = $1.54 Mind.Blow

Guacamole, Guacamole!

Anyone else OBSESSED with guacamole, or is it just me?!? Im gonna be honest im so obsessed I could eat it all day everyday and not get tired of it. Buttttt buying it premade is a little bit pricey so I had to find a quick, simple recipe to make it from home. So I thought I would share with you! G o ahead and hit the save && share this link with a friend who would LOVE this recipe. Sharing is caring!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ Ingredients ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1/4 cup finely minced onion⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 4 ripe avocados⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1 1/2 Tablespoon lime juice ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1 Roma tomato diced⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1/4 c cilantro minced⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1/2 tsp ground cumin⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1 tsp minced jalapeno (optional)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Directions⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Cut avocados in half, lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seed. Scoop out the flesh and add to a bowl. A dd lime juice then use a fork to mash until creamy, but still chunky. Stir in the tomato, cilantro, cumin, onions, salt &