Skip to main content

A note to that girl; judging my body

This weekend I went on a MUCH needed getaway with some friends. Kenny & I have been so busy lately we haven't got to connect with each other. I was excited to really relax and spend time unplugged.

The friends I went with? They are all into health & fitness too. They do the programs I do, they coach and help others like I do. So for once I wasn't afraid to be in my bikini. I knew they would accept me as me. No judgement.

You see, for me being in a bikini around other women; that's a trigger for me. Because of someone else's actions/words a long time ago I get so fearful and self conscious in those situations -- that's a story for another day though.

This time, I was  NOT nervous or really even focused on my looks. Its taken me a long time to accept and love my body as it is. I work hard on the daily for my health and happiness & I learned a long time ago how shaming my body hurts me.

What's crazy is how all that confidence can drop in a minute.
While floating, parked at a sand bar, eating some snacks she stopped me.
She was enjoying herself, too much to drink && came up to me. First admiring my hair because well, space buns && I mean it is purple. Then it quickly turned as she poked me in the stomach...

I'll admit, I didn't even register what she said.

The second her finger touched my stomach, my heart picked up pace. My stomach dropped, I looked for an escape STAT. Like where is my swim cover?!? I genuinely wanted to melt on the spot. I realized, she was judging my body.
Which means halfway in the float, she had been looking at it before this second.

What was she thinking, what was she saying?!?
Being in my element, drinks, friends, the river, no cares; that was refreshing. 
So to say I was taken back by her actions would be putting it lightly. Shit I'm getting anxious butterflies just typing this.

Like, how DARE she. She doesn't know my story. My struggles. My hard work. She doesn't get permission to take my joy, to tell me my body isn't good enough. 


&& I realized she wasn't intentionally judging me. She was judging herself but using MY body for comparison. I noticed this as her friend picked her up saying how I didn't know her story. Telling her to embrace her own body. To pull her head outta her ass because she amazing. 
But all I could feel was the look of judgment and disdain. 

Mortified, is a good word.
Hurt, describes my heart.
Sad, explains my feelings. 

The things she doesn't know is I've been there. I used to say those things to myself.

I mean I know my flaws are there::
I've got extra skin from where I housed & grew 3 beautiful boys.
I have stretch marks on my inner thighs from my freshman 15 (it was more like 30 but, ya know).
I have this cool shelf in my bikini line that sticks out from the scar tissue built up from back to back c sections.
My boobs. HA, well thank heavens for push up bras!
You get the idea. I've got things I'm not obsessed with about my own body.
But I love it because of what I have overcome. BECAUSE of where I've came from.

I've worked HARD to get where I am today. To truly see ME for what I'M worth, not how my body looks. I bust my ass on the regular learning to love myself as I am.

So to that girl, who judged my body.
I'm sorry you're hurting, but hurting others in return wont fix it.
I pray that you can come to peace with you & realize how you look doesn't matter. No one was worried about how your body looked, except for you.
Just because your story doesn't look like mine, it doesn't mean I don't have one. It doesn't mean I don't feel.

What I want you to know is how beautiful YOU are. Forget the body image shit. Forget the size, the number on the scale, the negative self talk. When you get over all of that and dig into your happiness and your self love; you'll realize that YOU matter; not the way you look.

When you quit living to compare. When you quit judging yourself (and others) you'll realize those worries you are bottling up are only inner stories you keep telling yourself. The "I'm not enough thoughts are coming from you & no one else." No one else is worried about you, your body, your looks because they are too worried about their own.
And seriously, Fuck what other people think anyhow. Anyone that matters doesn't care. Anyone who cares, doesn't matter.

You have the power of happiness & it comes from looking inward. It comes from self care. It comes when you stop being mean to yourself. So today, celebrate yourself. LOVE YOURSELF. Look at where you came from & be proud of what you've accomplished.
But most importantly give yourself grace.
&& know that the way I look is my business, not yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Bake Super Cookie

Anyone else struggle with after school snacks? My kids, they LOVE junk. They walk in the door begging for candy, chips, cookies. All the things they don't need. I've made it a mission of mine to provide them healthy options when they get home. Today we are mixing up an old favorite &&& we even put a spin on it! No Bake Cookies, make with my supershake (Shakeology). We did vanilla & chocolate because my oldest is just like me; NOT a chocolate eater. So he has peanut butter flavor. These boys are gonna go nutsssss for these. I LOVE this option because its sweet, so to them its a treat. But it has the vitamins and nutrients from my supershake to help fuel their body (it acts like 7 salads) so #momwin I don't feel guilty packing this in their lunch, letting them grab a couple as they run and play. No Bake Super Cookie Ingredients: 2 scoops chocolate Shakeology OR vanilla Shakeology 1 cup oats 1 cup Peanut Butter 1/2 cup honey 1/2 cup coconut o

$10 Tuesday | Breakfast edition

You know my goal is $10 or less, What if I told you breakfast for under $2?!? YUPPPPPP! Friends, get on my level.  That's cheaper than stopping at the gas station, running through fast food and 100x healthier! Let me share with you one of my favorite breakfast meals! Overnight Oats & Eggs Super simple, super easy, budget win. x Now let's break it down. Oatmeal -- $2.29 Blueberries -- $2.29 Almond Milk -- $1.99 Eggs -- .88 Mushrooms -- 1.89 ________________________ Total spent = $6.57 But wait, that's before breaking it down by the number of days you can use it for. This is over a weeks worth of breakfast y'all. One tub of oatmeal can last me 2+ weeks! Eggs, you have plenty for 6 days, etc. So let me show you my best guess. Oatmeal -- $2.29 / 14 = .16 Blueberries -- $2.29 / 4 = .57 Almond Milk -- $1.99 / 7 = .28 Eggs -- .88 / 6 = .15 Mushrooms -- 1.89 / 5 = .38 __________________________ Total for one meal = $1.54 Mind.Blow

Guacamole, Guacamole!

Anyone else OBSESSED with guacamole, or is it just me?!? Im gonna be honest im so obsessed I could eat it all day everyday and not get tired of it. Buttttt buying it premade is a little bit pricey so I had to find a quick, simple recipe to make it from home. So I thought I would share with you! G o ahead and hit the save && share this link with a friend who would LOVE this recipe. Sharing is caring!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ Ingredients ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1/4 cup finely minced onion⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 4 ripe avocados⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1 1/2 Tablespoon lime juice ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1 Roma tomato diced⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1/4 c cilantro minced⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1/2 tsp ground cumin⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1 tsp minced jalapeno (optional)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Directions⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Cut avocados in half, lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seed. Scoop out the flesh and add to a bowl. A dd lime juice then use a fork to mash until creamy, but still chunky. Stir in the tomato, cilantro, cumin, onions, salt &